Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A crude realization

A week or two ago, I had a post about what an overwhelmingly awesome feeling it was to finally be able to understand a play written by William Shakespeare. The Shakespeare portion of every year of my English class has always been a dreadful event to look forward to, for it was almost certain that it would drop my grade from an A to a C, it seemed. But now, although very cliché, the light bulb has gone off and it seems as if reading Shakespeare is as easy to understand as casual conversation with friends. It came as a relief as well being that we are reading Hamlet in our class, given the fact that it is supposed to be one of Shakespeare’s most famous masterpieces. The first week was great, then I realized at a certain point in the middle of the second week; THIS PLAY IS WEIRD!!! We haven’t even progressed through the second act yet, meaning nobody has died yet, and I am already catching on to some of the weirdest stuff I have ever heard. Hamlet’s acting all crazy as part of his plan to kill his “uncle dad”, Polonius thinks he knows why Hamlet is acting strange when he is dead wrong, and tells the king that he may behead him if he were being deceitful (Ironic, right?), and Fortinbras and his army are going to “pass through” Denmark on their way to Poland; Wonder how that’s going to work out? All this leads me to believe that Shakespeare must have been one dysfunctional individual to write a play like this! This play has got to be one of the most amazing things I have ever read, however, as I am finding myself getting more and more excited to do my English homework. 

No comments:

Post a Comment