Sunday, September 8, 2013

Insert Title Here

Poetry. Poetry. How hard could it be, right? It’s not like it is one of Shakespeare’s famous plays, and prose certainly possesses greater length. So may I ask of you, poetry, why must you bring frustration to the minds of innocent high school students all over the world, throughout history?
I sit there, slowly but surely progressing through a poem, the climax being just as confusing as the first word. I ask myself, “Am I missing something?” or “Why am I not getting this?” looking at it as if it were the Davinci code. Progressing a little further, nothings clicking, frustration growing, this is completely hopeless. Reaching the end, I achieve a short sense of satisfaction, and then realize I still have to answer questions to test my understanding of the work as a whole. Muttering, I curse my inability to understand this so called “beautiful piece”, diction being heard similar to what can be heard on George Carlin’s 1972 special “Seven words you can never say on television”, which I suggest you refrain your children from watching.
I search the page, scanning for some kind of aide when it shines bright, the answer to this one blasphemous piece of writing was right at the top of the page all along: the title. It all seems so clear now, the speaker is a mirror; no wonder he speaks of himself as a four-cornered god. If I had read the title first, this homework could have been done an hour ago! Feeling accomplished and rather dumb at the same time, I close my book feeling confident, at least until I walked into English the following day.

SIDE NOTE: When reading poetry, don’t be lazy, read the title first! It saves so much time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment